12.21.2009

Traveling Shoes....Vieux Carré

This month we found ourselves in New Orleans on a business/pleasure trip. It is "Photo" month in The Big Easy for Photo Nola. We have been to New Orleans a few times, but this was the first time since Katrina. In the Vieux Carré, not much had changed, a few empty shops and some of the restaurants we have previously gone to were no longer there. It was a bit cold and rainy the entire time, but there was still plenty to see and do.
Jackson Square and the French Quarter...............................................






While there is a great deal of shopping that can be done in New Orleans, only one place held my attention. "Antiques de Provence" owned by the very elegant Cynthia W. Nunez, who has impeccable taste in French Interiurs and Jardins.


Her three stores are filled with beautiful French antiques, mirrors, lighting, olive jars and garden furniture.


Where to stay? We have stayed at a few different hotels in New Orleans. My only request this time when Jim made the reservations was: "I don't want a room with floral linens!" That's what I look for these days in a hotel. White sheets and a duvet that is washed daily. This proved a little challenging but Jim came up with a great hotel at a great rate. The Omni hotel is in the center of the French Quarter on Royal Street.

The lobby was elegant and tasteful..............................................
With terrific views in all directions................................................
Our room - small, but charming with 10 foot ceilings and tall windows that opened up to the courtyard below.
And for Princess and the Pea here - a comfortable bed and white linens.

Where to eat? You can't go to New Orleans without stopping in at Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee.
A standout place for lunch was "Chochon Butcher" where Chef Donald Link and partners Chef Stephen Stryjewski and Chef Warren Stephens specialize in house made artisan meats and sausages made on premise. Located in the Warehouse District they also offer up an eclectic list of wines selected by wine buyer Joe Briand.
We had a couple of glasses of a Sparkling Thevenet Blanc de Blancs, Burgundy, France, to go along with some of the best sandwiches we have ever tasted. I highly recommend this restaurant.



I also liked "Stanley" on Jackson Square for breakfast.



And the Napoleon Bar, located just across the street from the Omni Hotel.
What to do? There is plenty to do at night with all the great venues for music. I like to wander around the Garden District during the day and admire the architecture..........................

There was a Christmas house tour in the Garden District that I would loved to have gone to, just didn't have the time.



Oh, to get behind those garden gates! Maybe next time.
Photography By: Ryannan Bryer de Hickman
Sotto Il Monte Vineyards

14 comments:

  1. All these travels must give you soo many ideas! Looks like your husband picked a grand hotel:)

    Everything looks so wonderful..Did you bring home an extra piece of Butcher paper? I would have embarrassed you and brought one..after asking of course~
    I've heard of Café Du Monde..cute mug:)


    Your husband looks like he would fit in anywhere.. elegantly~

    Did you win a prize Ry? Is that why you were there?

    I hope so..you are so talented!

    Thanks for the trip..the antiques shop looks beau!
    :)

    You make me want to redecorate my whole house..Everything is floral:) Our duvet is white but sure enough there's a Martha Floral bedskirt:) And eiderdown for our QC winters at the foot:) No wallpaper anywhere though I promise:)

    Jacques has been to New Orleans..I never have.. The Garden district? Midnight in the garden of good and evil? Looks so similar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No prize for me Monique - I stopped entering my work in competitions long ago. I just enjoy the inspiration of seeing new and young photographers out there in the trenches. I'm sure your linens are beautiful! My request for white linens in hotels has to do with the feeling that some of the printed bedspreads go unwashed for who knows how long! I think you would enjoy New Orleans - I prefer it in the sprigtime when it is very lush and balmy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh...as usual, i want to be in your traveling shoes, you know ? Beautiful, beautiful New Orleans and that shop is to die for..
    and your hotel is fab !
    You're entering the festive season beautifully...
    Have a wonderful Christmas Ry with lost love around you, bubbles and cuddles...
    xoxo
    Lala

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of vacation, gardens, food, antiques... you can't go wrong . Merry Christmas to you and yours and thanks for sharing, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand your point about white sheets and immaculately clean duvets!! I only have white sheets and white towels in my house! LOL ;-D

    Your photos are always gorgeous, Ry. I sound like a broken record, but it's true!! I've never had the opportunity to visit New Orleans, but I'll definitely search out the places you recommend whenever I get to go. Beautiful pictorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man....You transport us like no other! It looks beautiful through your eyes!


    And the printed bedspreads...oh yeah...I hear ya sister!

    Wonderful Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i love being in your traveling shoes, always a perfect fit... i am loving every shot, the garden tour would have been wonderful, but you captured so much as is... heavy sigh, you transported me effortlessly~

    wishing you a very merry christmas while i am here, but i may be back to enjoy over and over~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so with you on the hotel linen thing Ry. After having slept under a feather doona for the past 30 years, I find going back to heavy & cumbersome blankets on a Hotel bed awful & I don't sleep at all well. Thank you for a fantastic tour of New Orleans through the magical lens of your camera. Have a beautiful Christmas with all your Darlings.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cara Ry,

    Thanks for taking us to New Orleans. My first trip. Excellent guiding and pictures - as always. My favourite? The antique terracotta jars and the finale - the ornamented iron gate. Your husband's eye for boutique hotels. And the taste of New Orleans food! Buon Natale e Buone Feste, cara! Bacione, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the little trip Ry...
    Just lovely...
    Merry Christmas!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, thanks Ry...I haven't been to New Orleans since Katrina either and I miss it...thanks for taking me back. I love the dog peering through the restaurant window! Lucky you to be there...you have such a wonderful eye for beauty and life. I'm happy to tag along!

    Happiest of Holidays to you and your family!

    xox Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! Captured as only YOU can, Ry. Your work takes my breath away.

    These are such lovely, lovely shots. I adore your perspective and insightful views of places I've never been. I'm indebted to you for sharing.

    Happy, happy holidays to you and your loved ones. ((hugs)) ~m

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love love the pictures of your trip to New Orleans!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They make me smile and my day a better one.