2.11.2010

Taking it back in time - The Bathroom Renovation

For the last few weeks I've been consumed with bathroom renovations. I'm taking two bathrooms that were very outdated - even further back in time. These photos from Cote Sud are my inspiration. I'm doing all the finish work, plumbing, etc., which leaves little time for blogging or anything else for that matter.
Because we had already gutted the bathrooms and replaced walls etc., I thought I could whip out this reno in just a few weeks. Slipped my mind that I'm no longer 25! Everything is taking much longer and I'm exhausted at the end of the day. I'm not sure I will ever be able to get all the Sheetrock and plaster dust out of my hair.
This is the first project on one of our houses that I'm totally responsible for. Jim just doesn't have the time to deal with it and I've always wanted to do this. I've made plenty of mistakes hanging the drywall and taping it. American Clay Plaster will be the finish coat. It allows for a not so perfect finish on the drywall - which is the look I'm going for anyway.


I fell in love with this Botticelli Carrara Marble sink for the Master bathroom. That will have to wait.......................................
As will the polished nickel Bistro faucets from Restoration Hardware.......................
For the main bath - I'm going with this sink...........................
Snow Canyon Porcelina plaster on the walls, plaster floors, Farrow & Ball French Gray on the woodwork, stone counter tops and backsplash and Venetian Bronze fixtures.

Meanwhile - We make do with a half bath (of sorts) and an outdoor shower.



Good thing the house is in a moderate climate!

18 comments:

  1. I'll be having what you're having ... one of each please ... you might have to close your eyes and just pick ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, its ALL so GORGEOUS! and you are really hands on, good for you! i am craving a new house so bad i can taste it... thanks for letting me live thru you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ry, I can't tell you how impressed I am. I have remodeled many times and know what it entails. I love both sinks, have to have them. And, I have missed your posts. Your blog is one of my top three blogs. Absolutely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable.I can't believe it.
    You must be a movie star..That works hard.
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to figure out if I'm up to just repainting my bedroom!!! Ry, you just blow me away! I'm impressed with all that you're doing. And your taste... exquisite!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ry,
    So good to see that you posted today. I have missed your postings. I love your style and you are a huge inspiration to me.
    I know a couple of good hands that could help with the sheetrock. One of them just happens to be looking for work during spring break.
    Love to see you again!! Miss ya !!
    Love ya,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you know I'll make no comment here other to say - JOIN THE CLUB! We will have to open a bottle of French bubbles together when we both have a usable, gorgeous new bathroom Ry! Courage my dear, courage.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cara Ry,

    Thought you would have sth extraordinary up your sleeve. After some silence,you always have an exciting post ready. In expectant waiting to "enter" your new baths. In the meantime, I quite enjoy your outdoor shower. Thanks for the invitation! Bacione, Ingrid from a frosty Umbria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so impressed...you are a rock star baby!
    You go girl!
    I can not wait to see the finished bathroom...I would be happy with the outside shower!
    Of course not here with 2 plus feet of snow...good to see you posting Ry!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to go back and reread the begining...I thought you said you were doing the work! I was amazed that I didn't misread it! All I can say is Wow and double Wow!!! I love every part of it and if I had such an enchanting outdoor bathroom, I think I'd just stay there.

    You're an inspiration, in every way. Thanks for sharing!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my o my! I LOVE your choices and your inspiration! I also love your outdoor bath! Divine. I hear ya on the not 25 when it comes to renovations. Boy do I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pictures of Côté Sud are gorgeous and a very good source of inspiration! I know them so well because I filed them a few months ago under my "bathroom" file!
    I am sure your bathroom redo will be great! And go for that marble bowl!!!!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gorgeous -- You may not be 25, and after a day hard at work on our bathroom, you may not feel 25, but the amazing thing is that you still look like you're 25. The obvious conclusion is that renovation work really agrees with you. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello. I've followed your blog for a couple of months now and am just so envious of your beautiful work. I am a first-time homebuyer and have a 104-year-old house. I've painted and decorated and this week is 1 year in my home. I am waiting patiently to save up money to install a half bath and redo the main bath. I am forever pulling magazine pages for inspiration and just find the images on this post gorgeous. I am 29, but the work is no less difficult for me. So don't feel bad about the length of time it's taking!

    Good luck, and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!
    Cheers!
    Ry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Blog !! Spacify offers a wide selection of Bathroom Sinks and more to decorate your bathroom in a new look, which can do a lot freshen up a drab bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its looking fantastic,giving authentic look to the bath room, and memorize the early days. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They make me smile and my day a better one.