10.16.2009

MONARCH BUTTERFLY MIGRATION

The Monarch Butterflies are on their way to the Transvolcanic Range in Mexico. Monarchs are like birds in that they migrate to a warmer climate in the winter. They are the only insects that can fly 2500 miles and they follow the same migration patterns every year. The Latitude of my house is 28.30N - more or less - so I'm expecting them any day now. They usually stop by and spend the night. Thousands of them flutter down and settle on my crepe myrtle tree. The first time I experienced this, I was out in the garden, towards dusk, and they floated down all around me. It was magical - there is just no other word for it.
Due to recent rains - the crepe myrtle is in full bloom and awaits their arrival.

11 comments:

  1. Ry, Gorgeous photos! The butterflies nestled among the crepe myrtle blooms ~ magnificent.

    Aren't they incredible creatures? I hope you enjoy another magical experience with those marvelous beauties this year.

    Thanks for sharing the beauty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must indeed be magical!! I have never heard about the Monarch Butterflies and I am so glad you shared this post with us!
    Have a wonderful, magical weekend!

    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never witnessed this:) I know Jain has.. and I envy you both..I think I would wait w/ my camera in hand:) day after day~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this once when they were off their path a little they came right through here and it was the most surreal, beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. Thousands and thousands of butterflies - i was home and my husband was on the freeway and we were like little kids squealing with delight on the cell phone with each other. Lucky you!!
    Gorgeous photos, Ry.
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful photo. I would love to see this in person.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your pic is simply gorgeous Ry...I have seen them in Big Sur years ago...such a magical sight!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fortunate for you to be able to witness such an ethereal sight!! I do hope you get some photos of the event this year. I wish I could see it for myself sometime. I had no idea that Monarchs migrated like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it when this happens, so pretty in pink too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous...looks so relaxing. Oh, to have an afternoon that I could spend admiring the view!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monarch Butterflies are known for the incredible mass migration that brings millions of them to California and Mexico each winter. North American monarchs are the only butterflies that make such a massive journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They make me smile and my day a better one.