4.10.2010

SWEET SAVANAH

I feel as if I've been holding my breath for the last couple of months.
Our youngest daughter, her sweetheart and his two adorable children decided to relocate from Honolulu, Hawaii to Austin, Texas. We are thrilled to have her back on the mainland after almost 10 years away, but we were a little anxious about a major move in this economic climate. Both Jason and Jessie Jasmine gave up great jobs in Hawaii to relocate. Great jobs and health insurance! Jasmine has a childhood illness that requires regular EKG's and numerous other tests to monitor her heart. She also has to take antibiotic and B-12 injections every 30 days. My worries have been for naught. Both are talented in their respective fields. They hit the ground running and landed jobs right away. Jasmine is working as a therapist in a clinic for children with autism and will also be pursuing her Masters and then her PhD. Jason, a Musician, IT and Sound Engineer has fit right in with the Austin music scene. An added bonus is that we now have grandchildren! Thirteen year old Talon and nine year old Savanah have stolen our hearts.
Last weekend was Savanah's 9th birthday. We packed a picnic lunch and spent the afternoon at Barton Springs.
I baked a three layer vanilla cake, with and apricot glaze and cream cheese frosting.
The kids spent all afternoon swimming in the natural spring pool. The adults relaxed in the warm sun and sipped wine. Savanah said it was her best birthday ever.The other day she looked up at me, smiled and said "You are my new Grandmother". I replied "Yes, I am". She seemed to think about that for a moment and then said "But you don't look like a Grandmother". Have I mentioned how smitten I am with this child?!


Photography By: Ryannan Bryer de Hickman
Sotto Il Monte Vineyards

18 comments:

  1. Dear Grandma,

    Happy news! This little girl is darling, and I am certain the two of you will have some amazing adventures together.

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great news, Ry. Isn't it funny how things work out. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so sweet and smart..You sure don't look like a nana:)
    Have fun..what a git this family relocating!

    Happy for you.She's utterly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is so beautiful... i am so happy for you, having your daughter close must be heaven for you. your cake is gorgeous, so glad you can exhale, all is beyond well for you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy for you that your daughter is closer - I know how much that means to you; and she brings with her a pretty grandchild! Congratulations! The cake is lovely and it's good that the kids had the sugar - so they could swim in the frigid waters of Barton Creek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara Ry,

    Anyone can tell you love your family and your darling Savannah. A person, who loves, remains young. You are a blessed grandmother, cara! Suppose your blog will be still more "animated", now that your family is around. Bacione, Ingrid in Umbria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet sweet return! Nothing like having your kids near the nest...but succesful and happy!

    Happy B'day to sweet Savanah...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you that your daughter and her family are living with you now! You must be so glad with your two grandchildren. And I think Savannah was so right with her tought!
    Have a wonderful Sunday with your family!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this story. Thanks for sharing it and enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious gift for you!!! She is such a beautiful girl & fabulously smart too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mazel Tov on becoming a new Grandma!
    You are one hot Granny that is for sure...
    I am so happy for you...
    Enjoy your family!
    I missed your posts Ry...it is good to see you back!
    btw...that is a gorgeous cake! For a lucky little girl!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabulous news! It just doesn't get much better than having your children nearby. Savannah is beautiful and so smart, too ;-) Happy Birthday to her and good luck to all!

    Love that cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please give Savannah and big hug for me and tell her Happy Birthday. Can't wait to meet her and Talon. The cake is beautiful. You did an awesome job !!! Would love for you to make one for Anthony's graduation and deliver it. :) Miss you.... Hugs and Kisses to everyone..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an unexpected treat for you both dear Ry! And yes, I certainly wouldn't have put you into the little grey-haired Grannie on the Zimmer frame category either!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Ry - I'm so excited for you! And how fortunate the children are to have you as their Grandmother. Savannah is a beauty - she fits right into your family! :D Btw, your cake is gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful little girl! She reminds me of a younger version of Olivia Hussey...(when she was younger)

    I am enjoying looking through your blog posts... your photographs are wonderful and I love the subjects that catch your eye...

    ReplyDelete
  17. funny how we spend so much time worrying about things that we really don't need to. I see lots of looong happy Sunday lunches in your
    future Ry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness. How wonderful for you all to be closer together and enjoying happy times such as this.
    I loved Barton Springs and I love family birthday parties with homemade cakes. They make for the best memories. Your grandaughter will remember her 9th forever...I bet you will too.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They make me smile and my day a better one.