2.16.2012

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

Savannah is one of those places where, no matter how much time I spend exploring, I could never begin to even scratch the surface. She has her secrets - and intends to keep them.

The Mercer Williams House
Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil

The architecture is beautiful everywhere you turn. The houses are all centered around parklike squares filled with live oaks dripping with Spanish moss. There are 22 squares in the city center.
Stop for lunch at Soho South ...............we highly recommend the Soho South Salad.
Great wine list too.............................................


The only way to really see Savannah is to walk it one square after another............................


You could ride a bike or take a pedicab .............but walking is still best....................
When you get tired (and you will) stop for a latte at Gallery Espresso to people watch...........
The city is full of hip artistic types due to the College of Art & Design...................................

End the day at The Pink House ...............Great restaurant and a nice bar that opens up to the street for more people watching. Lovely on a warm evening.

Cheers!
Ry

Sotto Il Monte Vineyards
Photos: Ryannan & Jim Hickman

10 comments:

  1. Wow..we went ap 35 yrs ago..But it was so short..a "Wive's" day trip while the husbands had a conference..we stayed At Sea Island Georgia..The Cloister..it was gorgeous back then..I don't remember any of these sights:( That's how quick the trip was..

    Thank you..lovely memories nevertheless.

    You do such neat things:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day we are going to have to be in the same place at the same time! Exploring Savannah would be so much fun with you.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful series of photographs! I sure would like to try one of those salads....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori - if you haven't been - Savannah is great source of inspiration for photographers.

      Delete
  3. Re, such evocative photos! Loved the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Moved back to CA 2 years ago. My neighbor's husband played the gentleman who daily walked the long deceased labrador in the movie! Also love you work for Zenchilada!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps, excuse me Ry not Re!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - Exploring the South has been fun and I do love so many things about it, but once in awhile I get homesick for CA.
      The next issue of Zenchilada has some really wonderful recipes - it should be out soon!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! I love Savannah also!

    Jane
    Flora Doora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice place! The photos are fantastic!
    Australian Uggs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous place Ry, have always wanted to drop into Atlanta. Lovely to get your message, I would sell all the kids to have a weekend at the Masters with you guys. And I'm in mourning as my dodgy knee has put a temporary end to my normal Saturday round. I would feel such a fraud using a golf cart!!
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They make me smile and my day a better one.