1.26.2009

INTERIOR DESIGNER FREDERIC MECHICHE

Interior Designer Frederic Mechiche
Paris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been working on the plaster finishes at Casa Sotto Il Monte. Some of the floors have been plastered (yes ~ the floors) and soon I'll be moving on to the walls. To get ideas and inspiration I've been pouring over photos of Mediterranean Interior Design. One of my favorites ~ Frederic Mechiche's house in Hyeres on the Cote d'Azur. He has reworked a fourteenth-century fisherman's cottage, preserved the patina and added his own flair. In his favor the irregular walls, original plasterwork and ancient floors had not been modernized.



"I like to feel the past on the walls, the lived-in aspect of the house - I have a horror of things too new or restored." Frederic Mechiche
Looks as if he has done a pretty fair job of keeping the patina intact. He applied lime washes on some of the walls to add color.
The chandelier in the salon is Gustavien.

My kind of meal!





Images and FM quote from Mediterranean Living ~ Lisa Lovatt-Smith ~ Whitney Library of Design